End-of-Life Companionship and Support
virtThe end of a life can be most beautiful, intimate and connected.
Through the basis of the Urban Zen Integrative Therapy practice and Contemplative Care, we work with any individual or family to provide support through the end of life, similar to that of the work of a death doula.
Whether it’s virtually via Zoom, in-home or in-person at our wheelchair accessible space in Astoria, we are able to walk you through your dying process (or that of a loved one) in a way that feels comfortable and supportive. We provide services to Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx, and parts of Westchester and Long Island.
As Birth Doulas support birthing persons in bringing in new life, Death Doulas work with someone and/or their family at the end of life to help ease the transition between life and death. Death doula work or end-of-life companionship can take on many forms – we’re here to help you figure out what you need and how that support might look.
Here are some ways we can work with you or your family member:
- Specific integrative therapy practices to alleviate discomfort from symptoms like anxiety, pain or sadness
- Energy work to support the transition between life and death
- Facilitating conversations around life and death, reviewing and reflecting on relationships and experiences through a lens of healing when needed
- Bedside vigils for companionship or relief of support persons during or leading up to active dying
- Discussions on the spiritual aspects of death
- Education on the physical and energetic processes of dying
- Guidance on how to be present with your loved ones
- And anything you or your family might need during this time, all you have to do is ask
There is no right or wrong time to start working with us – if you feel called to learn more about the support our services provide, we’re happy to speak with you and discover how we might meet your needs at this time. Often clients are not sure what might be most helpful, and a short discussion can provide much needed relief and reassurance about your experiences to date.
We provide a complimentary first-time meeting via phone or Zoom to discuss your specific situation and how best we might serve you.
No question is too uncomfortable to ask, no conversation too intense to be had.
Just fill out the form and we’ll get back to you within 24 hours.
If you are interested in less personalized support, we offer monthly virtual Death Cafes for anyone interested in talking about death and dying. Please register for our newsletter for updates on when this monthly offering will be added to our calendar.
Due to the varied nature of this work, our fees have a range depending on the type of support and situation. Our sliding scale is $50-150/hour. We ask that if you are able to support the upper end of our scale that you do so in order to partner with us to provide these services to all who request them. We aim to work with anyone who seeks our support.
When booking a session, we require 12+ hours notice. If you would like a same-day session or don’t see time available that fits your schedule, you may email us at [email protected] to see if we are able to accommodate you.